Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Tim and Charlotte

 By Edward Ardizzone

This book is epic.  My daughter makes me read it repeatedly and is on the edge of her seat every time.  A girl washes up on shore unconscious.  She awakes to find her memory lost.  When she finally remembers who she is, she must leave her newfound friends forever to return to her former life.

It's a real fairy tale, with the main character, Charlotte, an orphaned heiress, and Tim a rough and tumble lower class boy who lives on the seaside.
 A lot of the story is predictable, but still a thrilling read.  There is very real danger, something very rarely found in children's books.
There is a fight.  Tim fights for his and Charlotte's honour and is nearly beaten.  They describe him as being very noble.

It's an old book, and this kind of passage wouldn't fly these days.  But I don't mind.  It's not like I can't talk to my kids about these passages after we've read the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment