Friday, December 11, 2015

Friday Post - Math Rabbit

 Math Rabbit is an excellent game.  I found it for my daughter and we've been playing it together.  I was skeptical at first because it seemed to be a weird mix of way too easy and way too hard.  But then I realized that each mini-game can be set to a different level of difficulty and that at each level there is a different list of options.


 Any game can be set to a beginner level where the user is only ever asked to count objects up to 10.  But at their hardest, the games use numbers up to 99 with addition and subtraction.

The detail with which you can customize each game means that you can tailor the questions to the student.  Best of all, the questions never automatically get too hard once you've done too many of them.
 The elephant show at the top is a game for matching numbers to equations or numbers to a group of dots.

The Calliope game is just counting to 8 and doesn't have a harder setting.  It does have a free-compose setting, though!

The sea lion show is about patterns using addition or subtraction.  (We have currently mastered "plus one" and I'm trying to teach my daughter how to do "plus 2" to any number.)
 The Balloon Matching game is just a memory game, but memory is my daughter's favourite right now.  She'll happily play this game endlessly.  I'm excited that there's the option of "number to number name" because I'll use that when she starts reading...
There's a lot of repetition in this game, but there's some serious incentive; every time you win a game, you get a ticket, and if you have enough tickets, you can buy prizes.  The game saves your prizes, there are tons to collect, and once you've purchased them, they dance around at the bottom of the screen. 

My daughter happily plays the mini-games over and over, especially if I'm around to play with her.  It's great practice!





No comments:

Post a Comment