Thursday, December 31, 2015

Read With Chirp

 By Bob Kain

We love the Chirp magazines and are constantly getting them out of the library.  I got this out of the library to encourage my daughter to work on learning to read.  It isn't real reading; it's rebus reading.  But it is totally helpful to use when teaching kids to read.
First of all, if nothing else, it teaches kids to read from left to right.  It encourages my daughter to help me read (She loves deciphering the pictures).  Sometimes, if we've gotten far enough into the story, she'll have the courage to attempt a two or three letter word as well.  If there's repetition, which there often is, she can figure out a whole sentence by herself.

I really believe that teaching kids to read has more to do with establishing self confidence than anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment