Monday, January 25, 2016

Interstellar Cinderellar

 By Deborah Underwood
Illustrated by Meg Hunt

This one isn't bad, except that it's in verse, which is annoying, because it's definitely meant for older kids.  Plus the verses don't cover the details of the story; they'll have a vague explanation of what's going on and fill in the blanks with they picture.  So I end up cutting in with explanations because it's even a little confusing for me at times.
I'm pretty sure they stole the pet mouse and the stepsister's name from the Disney movie.  Which are little examples of a bit of laziness here and there.
But I'm happy that everyone is ugly in this book (but charmingly drawn).  I'm happy that Cinderella is a mechanical nerd.  I'm happy that she actually hangs out with the prince and develops a relationship with him, and STILL decides not to marry him in the end.

It's not perfect, but it's good enough.  Plus, my daughter likes it as much or more as her Disney Cinderella book.

Everything is better when it takes place in space.

No comments:

Post a Comment