Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Jack and the Beanstalk

 By Rosemary Wells and Norman Messenger

I can't tell who wrote the book and who drew the pictures.  It looks like they both wrote it?  Maybe they both worked on the pictures?

The pictures are pretty decent.  I don't mind them.  And the writing is simple enough to understand, so I'm really happy about that.  I want to introduce my daughter to these stories as young as I can because we come across the references so often and I'd really like her to be able to understand those references.
Every time I run into this story it's told in the most long-winded fashion.  The only version that she was familiar with before this was the Mickey Mouse cartoon.  It isn't that bad, but I really can't stand that stupid harp.

This version has Jack living with his mother and rescuing his father, which is more exciting.  And it has the hen laying the golden eggs as well, which the Disney version left out.

No comments:

Post a Comment